International Education Week to include Peace Village event

Courtesy of International Peace Village

On Wednesday, Nov. 18 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., the International Student Center and the International Students Association will be hosting the 59th annual International Peace Village in collaboration with One SDSU Community. The event will be held in Montezuma Hall.

“The event is an opportunity for international students and any other student that has a unique cultural heritage to share their contribution to the diversity of the campus,” said Veronica Perondi, International Student Center programs coordinator.

The International Peace Village will highlight 31 different countries through the process of country tabling, traditional performances, a cultural attire showcase, music and games. Each country table will compete in three categories: best representation of country and culture, best traditional game and best decoration.

“The country tables give students the opportunity to showcase what they’re proud of from their culture, as well as educate other students about their unique culture,” Perondi said.

Students participating in the event and showcasing their culture are encouraged to dress up and display their traditional cultural attire. If students come dressed up, they will be asked to describe what their choice attire means, the importance of it and the role it plays in their culture.

“It’s an opportunity for students to explain the meaning and a chance for the students to show that it’s a culture and not a costume,” Perondi said.

Similar to last year’s event, The International Peace Village will also have a peace flag. Students will be asked to write on a colorful piece of fabric what “peace” means to them in their own words.

“We should embrace the diversity we have on campus,” International Student Association Treasurer Jordan Munro-Rankin said. “The event is a cool way for different cultures to come together and embrace each other while showcasing their own cultures.”

The International Peace Village will be the capstone event during International Education Week, which happens every November.

A variety of other events start on Monday, Nov. 16 at 6 p.m. with “World Music Series: Music of Iran” at Smith Recital Hall and end Friday, Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. with the Vietnamese Student Association’s third annual film festival.

“Students should look forward to seeing the showcasing of all the diversity on campus during the week,” Munro-Rankin said. “We need to embrace the diversity we do have and get out of our comfort zones to learn about other cultures.”

Christine Whitman, Arts and Culture Editor
Christine Whitman is the arts and culture editor for The Daily Aztec for the 2016-17 academic year. She is a senior studying public relations and communications here at San Diego State. Christine started writing for The Daily Aztec in 2013 and has never looked back. For questions of comments, contact Christine at features@thedailyaztec.com