SDSU crime and incident report: Domestic violence, new safety app

Suicide attempt

On Monday, Jan. 18 around 7:30 p.m., San Diego State Police responded to a report of a suicidal man at the SDSU Transit Center.

According to SDSUPD, the 19-year-old subject had a plan to overdose.

He was transported to the hospital for additional care.

If you or someone you know is looking for help, SDSU Counseling and Psychological Services is available for all students.

They are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Students needing immediate help can call 619-594-5220 during business hours.

After business hours, students seeking help can contact the San Diego Access and Crisis 24-hour Hotline at 888-724-7240.

Foot patrol

On Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 5 a.m., SDSUPD contacted a man sleeping at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

During the contact, officers discovered the subject had controlled substances with him.

The subject then attempted to flee.

He was caught after a brief chase with SDSUPD members and arrested for his violations.

Disturbing the peace

On Thursday, Jan. 21 shortly before 2 p.m., there was a report of a verbal disturbance in the courtyard north of Love Library.

A subject was protesting and several individuals were verbally disagreeing with the protester.

SDSUPD stayed on the scene to ensure all parties’ right to freedom of speech and that it wouldn’t escalate to violence, SDSUPD Cpl. Mark Peterson said.

Domestic violence

A non-SDSU student was arrested at the Granada dorms on Friday, Jan. 22 after 3 p.m.

The subject was trying to enter the apartment of his ex-girlfriend, who refused to let him in, according to SDSUPD.

He was arrested on the scene for domestic violence.

SDSUPD app launch

On Tuesday, Jan. 26, SDSUPD launched a new app for SDSU students, faculty and staff called Aztec Shield.

The app can be used for emergency or non-emergency situations and provides users the ability to reach SDSUPD.

Key features include: an interactive crime map detailing the activity of SDSUPD in the area, a “Friend Watch” feature to allow people of the user’s choosing to monitor their location, and the ability to report incidents with picture and video, among other features.

Aztec Shield will be available for both iPhone and Android users.

SDSUPD’s bicycle registration event

On Thursday, Jan. 28, SDSUPD will be hosting a bicycle registration event.

From 1 to 5 p.m., SDSUPD will be giving out free Kryptonite bike locks and a copy of the new San Diego regional bike map to all SDSU community members who come to register a bike.

The event will take place on Cuicacalli Walk.

The goal is to lessen the number of bike thefts on campus, Peterson said.

Registering a bike provides SDSUPD the bike’s serial number that will help with recovery if stolen.

All SDSU community members attending the event should bring their bike and Red ID.

After the event, bikes can be registered at the police department’s front lobby Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Bike locks will be given out with all registrations while supplies last.

Alex Piscatelli, Engagement Editor