A.S. update: Aztec mascot controversy, spring events

The College Life Council of Associated Students discussed the CSU faculty strike, various organizational updates, and the continuing controversy surrounding the Aztec mascot on Wednesday Feb. 17

Guest speaker

SDSU American Indian studies professor, Ozzie Monge, spoke to the A.S. Campus Life Council commissions about Aztec culture and culture sensitivity. Monge said the SDSU community must think critically about the Aztec mascot.

“We are the only school in the California public school system that has a racial mascot,” Monge said. “The tradition of SDSU causes students to behave like accidental racists.”

He said the Aztec mascot is cultural appropriation and it is offensive.

Student Diversity Commission

Student Diversity Commission Chair Arnelle Sambile and Representative Itzelt Santos gave a recap of the two-week long Spring Into Diversity series. It consisted of eight events aimed at empowering various groups at SDSU. They said the goal of the series was to create a more unified and understanding campus.

“Everyone should feel that SDSU is their home,” Sambile said.

Student Diversity Commission will host another Spring Into Diversity series next year.

External Relations Board

External Relations Board Chair Tyler Aguilar said that unless the California Faculty Association and the CSU executives can come to an agreement regarding faculty pay, many faculty members will strike on April 13-15 and April 18-19. He said it is important to be conscious that the strike is happening because CSU employees want a 5 percent pay raise.

“SDSU is not not wanting to pay its professors,” Aguilar said.

Recreation and Wellness Commission

Recreation and Wellness Commission Chair Chris Thomas said the Aztec Recreation has a record number of memberships with a total of 17,788 members. Thomas also said 1,900 members participate in group exercise classes, and there are currently 63 intramural teams with over 20 teams waitlisted.

Thomas said construction for the new recreation field on Lot W has begun and is expected to be finished by August 2016 and ready for the 2016 fall semester. The field will be used by all sports clubs and intramural sports. It will have LED sports lighting and all weather turf.

Student Support Commission and Aztec Student Union Board

Student Support Commission Representative Jack Doheny said he is planning a social media campaign to promote study abroad. He said he is creating a video that includes where to locate the study abroad center. He is also working to promote escort and public safety services.

Aztec Student Union Board Chair Jamie Miller said after 13 months of planning there is a new clock in the courtyard.

Spring events

University Affairs Board Chair Andrea Byrd said tickets to TEDxSDSU, “A World Unraveled” will be available online at noon Feb. 26. The event will be on March 6 with a maximum of 100 tickets at $25 a ticket.

ASUB: GreenFest Committee Chair Patty Masengale said the Aztec Rock Fashion Show will take place on March 8.

Recreation & Wellness Representative Michael Liu said The Annual Health Expo will take place April 7 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Centennial Walkway.

Recreation & Wellness Chair Chris Thomas said on April 8 from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. there will be a Live Well Aztecs late night 3×3 basketball event. He also said the ARC will host a fitness jam on April 28.

Community Service Commission Chair Jenna Beuck said the Community Service Fair will take place on April 26.

Jasmine Bermudez
Jasmine Bermudez, Assistant News Editor
Jasmine Bermudez is the assistant news editor at The Daily Aztec. She is a fourth year journalism major and political science minor at San Diego State.