The Daily Aztec endorses Jamie Miller for AS president

Cristian Rangel

All three presidential candidates are strong contenders, each bring different assets to Associated Students and all emphasized similar platforms in regard to student representation and inclusion. However, The Daily Aztec editorial board believes Jamie Miller to be genuine in her “embrace, empower, engage” platform, which is why The Daily Aztec officially endorses Jamie Miller for A.S. president.

As moderators of the debates and reporters for official debate coverage, The Daily Aztec editors have considered the values and platforms of each candidate. Although all three presidential candidates demonstrated a strong understanding of the university and a commitment to the students, Miller impressed the editorial board with her emphasis on representing the students and her A.S. experience.

Miller has been involved with A.S. for three years and currently serves as the Aztec Student Union Board commissioner. Her A.S. experience is invaluable in understanding the organization’s mission and how to better communicate A.S. to the university as a whole.

The Daily Aztec would like to see more student participation in the debates and more candidate diversity to better represent the university. However, as a seasoned A.S. member and Pi Beta Phi sorority member, Miller touched on her experiences serving on the Student Diversity Commission as a pillar for her commitment to student diversity and serving underrepresented students on campus. We believe she will not only represent the students, but strive to better understand the unique challenges facing the diverse student body. Miller emphasized her passion for SDSU and commitment to transparency and inclusion in a time when “students feel their voices are being silenced” by both the university and elected student leaders.

We encourage all SDSU students to vote for their student representatives on WebPortal now through Thursday, March 17. It is only through students electing students that best represent SDSU that we will see true diversity in A.S.

Cristian Rangel, Photo Editor
Cristian is spanish major at SDSU, with a minor in Biology. He began working for The Daily Aztec in Fall 2015 and is currently the photo editor for the Spring 2016 semester.  He loves shooting concerts, sports, and anything photography related.