Ted Cruz hosts campaign rally in San Diego

Jocelyn Moran

Supporters and protesters alike flocked to Ted Cruz’s campaign rally at the Town and Country Resort Convention Center on April 11 as he talked about the three matters surrounding his campaign: jobs, freedom and security.

A sold-out crowd of 2,000 San Diego citizens attended the event to hear Cruz’s speech, while several hundred more supporters and protesters gathered outside the venue. Some of the protestors were affiliated with the San Diego County Democratic Party while others were there in support of Donald Trump. 

“Ted Cruz’s message resonated with the crowd, but he gave the same message he pretty much gives at every rally,” said Jordan Dennison, San Diego State College Republicans chairman. “In my point of view, (the protesters) didn’t really have any significant impact. It was expected, but they didn’t disrupt my time there.”

Throughout the rally, Cruz made it clear California would have a major impact on the election.

“California is going to decide the Republican presidential race,” he said.

Cruz said he would restore economic growth in California if elected because the people of California currently have to pay the highest taxes in the country.

“The people of California are hurt. You’re suffering under knuckle-headed liberal Democratic politicians,” he said. “But in 2017, we are going to pull the boot in Washington off of California.”

The cheering grew loudest in the room after Cruz said the way to yank that boot from the state is by stopping amnesty.

“We are going to secure the borders, end sanctuary cities and end welfare benefits for those here illegally,” Cruz said. “When we do that, we’re going to see millions and millions of new high-paying jobs coming back to America. We’re going to see young people coming out of school with two, three, four, five job offers.”

He ended his speech by discussing the need to rebuild the military and by targeting candidates in both parties.

“Apparently, there is a Bernie Sanders rally outside. You know the easiest way to clear a Sanders rally?” he said. “Just tell them they’ve got to get a job.”

One of the Sanders supporters outside was Michael Johnson, a Vietnam War veteran who had the opportunity to vote for the first time in 1968. He said he didn’t know much about Cruz, but instead was there to encourage people to vote.

“Voting is important to me, and I think it’s serious, especially for millennials,” Johnson said. “If the country turns to crap, you have to live in it. You guys have to fight for it. It’s up to you.”

Cruz aimed at Trump by mentioning the recent results in Colorado where Cruz took all of the state’s 34 delegates. Trump claimed it was unfair because the people of Colorado never had the opportunity to vote.

Gary Whaley, a 53-year-old San Diegan native and Trump supporter, said he was protesting outside the rally because he, like Trump, also thought it was unfair.

“I thought that was so violative,” Whaley said. “If the people speak and decide they want Trump, great. If they decide they want someone else, great. But Cruz and his elites shouldn’t be in the back room manipulating the delegates.”

However, Cruz attributed Trump’s unhappiness to the change of course in the race for the Republican nomination.

“As we know, here in California, wine is something best served with cheese,” Cruz said. “To put it more simply, Donald, it ain’t stealing when the voters vote against you. It is the voters reclaiming sanity.”

Trump is still leading with 743 delegates, Cruz has 545 and Governor John Kasich has 143. California’s primary will not be until June 7, and 1,237 delegates are needed for the Republican nomination.

“If we stand together, we are going to win the Republican nomination, we are going to beat Hillary Clinton in November and we are going to turn this country around,” Cruz said.

Jocelyn Moran
Jocelyn Moran, Managing Editor
Jocelyn Moran is the managing editor at The Daily Aztec and a senior journalism and Spanish student. She has been writing for The Daily Aztec since Fall 2015 and has covered protests, sports, club events and breaking news. Jocelyn aims to represent her community by telling people's stories in an effort to demonstrate different perspectives to readers. Send tips to me@thedailyaztec.com and follow her at @jocelynamoran.