SDSU’s NFL Draft streak snapped, Slater signs with Jaguars

This story has been updated.

Despite two towering figures headlining the San Diego State football team’s draft prospects, not one player from the Mesa heard their name called during the 2016 NFL Draft.

This was the first time in six years that no Aztec was selected in the NFL Draft.

Senior offensive linemen Darrell Greene and Pearce Slater were both projected as possible Day 3 picks over the three-day event by NFL.com. Both signed as undrafted free agents quickly after the draft.

Slater, a 6-foot-7, 333-pound tackle, was projected as a seventh or high value undrafted free agent by CBSSports.com. He would sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars shortly after the draft ended.

After attending El Camino College for two seasons, he participated in all 27 contests as an Aztec, including starts in all 14 games last fall. He helped produce two 1000-yard rushers for the first time in program history.

Due to his struggle in the passing game, it is expected he would need to transition to the interior of the line if he wants to crack the Jaguar’s 53-man roster.

Greene, a 6-foot-3, 321-pound guard, had a fifth to sixth round grade on him by CBSSports.com. However, he signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent with a $100,000 guaranteed 2016 base salary and a $5,000 signing bonus, according to Darrell Greene via Twitter.

This would indicate that Greene has an increased possibility to make the 53-man roster than other undrafted free agents.

His draft stock took a hit heading into his final season after being suspended for six games after testing positive for marijuana.

After sitting out the suspension, Greene returned to the field and made an immediate impact. In the seven games after his absence the Aztecs’ rushing attack averaged 282.43 rushing yards per game, compared to the 180.33 in the team’s first six games of the year.

He visited and had seven private workouts prior to the draft, including the Eagles.

Long snapper Jeff Overbaugh would sign with the newly relocated Los Angeles Rams to compete with six-year veteran Jake McQuaide.

Overbaugh, who overtook long snapping duties as a true freshman, was as reliable as one would want from a long snapper, as he connected on 510 consecutive snaps as an Aztec.

Another SDSU prospect who can potentially see interest in undrafted free agency is senior fullback Dakota Gordon.

While the fullback position is being phased out of NFL teams’ offensive playbook, they still see a lot of action during this time of year.

Along with Greene, Slater and the rest of the offensive line, Gordon played a large role in blocking for the school’s first two 1000-yard rushers in a single season.

However, as an undrafted free agent it will be a long road if these players want to make a final roster in August.