On-campus bites complement waistlines

antonio zaragoza, photo editor
    antonio zaragoza, photo editor

Following a nutritious diet can be taxing for busy college students. Some may think they are eating healthily, while, in reality, the hustle and bustle of on-campus mealtimes can become a war zone for those oblivious to the difference between healthy and unhealthy meals.

“Healthy means different things to different people,” director of San Diego State Dining Services, Paul Melchior, said. “[Healthy] is the least amount of processing that food goes through.”

Time is an issue playing a troublesome role in students’ diets. Going to class or work without eating for several hours is not a healthy practice.

“Once you start limiting your calorie intake, you start limiting your energy,” Student Nutrition Organization president Lilian Garcia said.

It is important to keep the body nourished with wholesome foods on a regular basis.

When looking to eat healthfully on campus, stick to grilled, broiled or steamed options and avoid anything fried. Also, adjusting orders makes menu items healthier. For example, holding the cheese or mayonnaise, adding extra veggies, or using salsa instead of dressing or sauce lowers the calories of a meal and increases its nutritional value.

The American Heart Association promotes the consumption of whole grains and fiber as one of the most essential parts of a healthy diet, according to Garcia.

Food choices containing these elements are available at Aztec Market including Nature Valley granola bars, fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereal, whole grain crackers and several fresh bakery and sandwich items. There is even an organic section in the market.

Options like these not only taste delicious, but also keep students feeling satisfied and focused throughout the day.

Whatever the eatery, portion size is always an important aspect of mealtime decision-making. Some valuable guidelines for visualizing serving sizes can be found on choosemyplate.gov. Remembering these measurements when ordering food at any on-campus dining spot will help students stay healthier and keep waistlines slimmer.

An alternative to campus eateries and markets is the farmers market. According to foods and nutrition senior Mallory Gross, the farmers market, which runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Thursday, is another great way for students to grab a fresh bite to eat.

“You can load up on some local fruits and veggies, or choose from a variety of healthy, ready-to-eat meals,” Gross said.

Unhealthy options to stay away from include soda, energy drinks and processed foods.

“Always choose wholesome and fresh food choices. For example, apples, low-fat milk and yogurt, bananas or cheese sticks … try to make it as nutrient-dense as possible,” Garcia said. “The less ingredients (on the packaging label), the better.”

Many baked goods, packaged foods and fruits offered at Aztec Market, and even the wrapped options at Starbucks, are freshly made and packaged on campus daily.

“When we cut our own fruits, that’s not a processed product,” SDSU’s Executive Chef David J. McHugh said.

All of the fruit in the markets and restaurants, such as Just Chill, are cut and served fresh daily.

McHugh and Melchior endorse the food trend of cooking in front of the customer. Many new restaurants on campus will feature this aspect.

“You design it, we refine it,” Melchior said.

These restaurants allow students to create their own meals from healthy ingredients. The Culinary Theater at East Commons is one tasty example.

Students must be proactive in order to supplement their diets with healthy options.

“Any students wondering about nutrition counseling should visit the health promotion department on the third floor of the Calpulli Center,” Garcia said. “Nutrition majors trained by registered dietitian Tracy Daly, an expert in the field, offer free nutritional counseling Monday through Friday at three different locations: Calpulli Center, Aztec Recreation Center and Athletics Center.”

The health promotion department offers a variety of handouts and information about healthy eating on campus as well as an opportunity to personalize a nutritional meal plan.

“There are a plethora of choices on campus to satisfy five servings of fruits and vegetables a day if you choose to,” Melchior said. “You have the ability to eat healthy at SDSU.”

On-campus bites complement waistlines