Beth Burns retires after successful career

The San Diego State women’s basketball team is coming off one of its most victorious seasons with the direction of its most successful head coach in the program’s history. But yesterday, SDSU athletic director Jim Sterk announced Beth Burns has retired.

During her 16-year career at SDSU, Burns led the Aztecs to numerous wins, titles and records. As a result, she is the winningest coach in Aztec women’s basketball history. Burns was named Mountain West Coach of the Year for the 2012-13 season, for the second consecutive season and the sixth time in her career.

Burns helped SDSU capture six regular season conference championships and four league tournament titles. In addition, SDSU made seven NCAA appearances, one of which was a Sweet 16.

This past season, Burns directed the Aztecs to a 27-7 overall record, which was a program record for most wins in a single season. She also helped SDSU get its second consecutive Mountain West Conference regular-season title.

Aztec basketball fans and players will be forever thankful to Burns for her outstanding leadership and dedication to the game.

“My 16 years at San Diego State University have been remarkable,” Burns said. “I am so appreciative of the many people who have supported our program throughout this time. I have had the privilege of coaching many terrific young women and will continue to enjoy following their successes. I would also like to give a special thank you to all of my associate and assistant coaches and staff who have given their hearts to make Aztec basketball great. Thank you, San Diego.”