What I’m looking forward to at Comic-Con

Comic-Con, the Comic-Con logo, and the WonderCon logo are registered trademarks of San Diego Comic Convention.

Greetings, I am David Dixon, the Entertainment Editor of The Daily Aztec and an avid Comic-Con fan. I’ve been going to the Con for a decade. When I first attended, you could buy tickets at the door. Now they sell out within minutes of going on sale. I’ll me live tweeting directly from the Con so follow me @Daviddixon2011. Read below to see what I am looking forward to the most each day.

Thursday:

5. Nintendo Gaming Lounge: With demos of games for the Wii U, such as “Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze” and “New Super Luigi U,” I will probably be spending way too much time enjoying some new addicting video games.

4. The World of Capcom Games: Eager to see members of Capcom talk about the 25th anniversary of “Mega Man.”

3. “I Know That Voice” Documentary Panel: How can any animation junkie resist a panel with “Futurama’s” John DiMaggio, Billy West, and the voice of Spongebob Squarepants himself, Tom Kenny?

2. Comedy Legends of TV Land: There’s bound to be plenty of entertaining stories in a panel with William Shatner, Roseanne Barr and “Scrubs” actor Donald Faison.

1. “South Park: The Stick of Truth”: “South Park” creators and stars Trey Parker and Matt Stone rarely come to Comic-Con, so to see them talk about their upcoming video game is an event for all of us fans of the hilarious series.

Friday:

5. “The World’s End”: Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost are kings of movie parodies. I can’t wait to hear their hilarious conversation about their new homage to science fiction.

4. Sony & Screen Gems: “The Amazing Spider-Man” was one of the best panels of 2010’s Comic-Con. Curious if the live discussion for the sequel will top it.

3. “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D”: I’m crossing my fingers that Clark Gregg joins “The Avengers” director, Joss Whedon, to talk about one of the more ambitious television series based on a comic book franchise. “Coulson lives.”

2. “Stan Lee’s” World of Heroes”: Any panel with Stan Lee is a must for comic book readers. I expect special guests from his Youtube channel to take part in a lively Q & A.

1. Your Opinion Sucks! Rotten Tomatoes Critics vs. Fans: Watching critics, such as Leonard Maltin and prestigious members of Rottentomatoes.com debate popular movies with audience members should be paradise.

Saturday:

5.Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures Preview their Upcoming Lineups: Of all the movies that will be discussed, the one that intrigues me the most is the “2001-esque” science fiction adventure, “Gravity,” with George Clooney and Sandra Bullock.

4. 20th Century Fox: Just hearing the titles “The Wolverine” and “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” makes me excited for this action packed panel.

3. Lionsgate: “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” is my favorite book of the trilogy, so hopefully this panel will build anticipation for the film adaptation.

2. “The Simpsons”: Ever since second grade, “The Simpsons has been my favorite television series. Seeing the witty creator, Matt Groening, talk about the show is always guaranteed to produce a couple of belly laughs.

1. Marvel Studios: Only “Thor: The Dark World” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” are listed for this panel, but I have a feeling that there will be some big surprises in store during an evening in Hall H.

Sunday:

5. Areas Around the Convention Center: For the last couple of years, Comic-Con festivities have spilled over into the Gaslamp. I prefer to not to miss out on any of the unique displays. Will definitely try to walk over there.

4. “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”: A hysterically funny alternative to the family friendly events taking place on Sunday. Charlie Day, Danny DeVito and the ensemble of the irreverent sitcom are “always” good for a laugh.

3. Exhibit Hall: I will probably spend most of Thursday through Saturday at panels, so I will dedicate much of Sunday checking out unique booths.

2. Nerd HQ: This unique celebration of geek culture produced by Zachary Levi will be at Petco Park. My visit to Nerd HQ last year was a memorable experience and it’s a fun visit before the convention is over.

1. “Community”: With the return of “Community” creator Dan Harmon, I’m wondering if he will discuss whether the tone of the show will return to the anarchic spirit of the first three seasons.

How do  my expectations for this year’s Comic-Con stack up with previous years? Check out my review of the 2011 Comic-Con to get an early look at what to expect!

David Dixon, Staff Writer
Since, 2005, when he became a writer for the now defunct Rated G column at the San Diego Union Tribune, David Dixon has been writing theatre and film reviews, interviews, covering Comic-Con, and other entertainment related stories, for numerous papers and websites. In addition to his experience as the Entertainment Editor of San Diego State University's The Daily Aztec, in 2014 he won First and Second Place in College Print: Reviews from the San Diego Press Club Excellence in Journalism Awards, and in 2013 he was awarded First and Third Place. Currently, David is a staff writer for TDA, a contributor for sandiegostory.com and a freelance writer for the San Diego Community News Network.