SDSU loses to USC, beats Gaels

Yesterday, the No. 11 San Diego State women’s soccer team defeated Saint Mary’s College 1-0 in its first home game win of the season, giving the Aztecs a season record of 1-1-0 overall.

Senior forward Jensen Skinner scored the winning goal for the Aztecs in the 53rd minute of the game.

SDSU took its first loss of the season last Friday when the Aztecs traveled to the University of San Diego to face off against the University of Southern California for its season opener.  However, the Trojans got the best of the Aztecs and went on to defeat SDSU 4-1.

Senior forward Elizabeth Eddy scored the first goal of the season for USC in the 7th minute creating a 1-0 lead for the Trojans at the end of the first half.

It didn’t get any better in the second half for SDSU, as USC tacked on two more goals by freshman forward Kayla Mills and sophomore midfielder Jamie Fink.

The Aztecs got on the board with their first goal of the season in the 69th minute when junior forward Hannah Keane scored on a 20-yard shot, but it was too late for SDSU. Eddy scored the final goal of the game for the Trojans to seal the win.

The Aztecs received their first loss of the season.

On Aug. 15 in their only preseason exhibition game at California State University Fullerton, the Aztecs couldn’t find the net, nor could the Titans. SDSU’s newcomer Katie Perry, a midfielder and transfer student from Texas A&M, led the Aztecs with four shot attempts while sophomore defender Tiffany Geer added one.

The Aztecs were outshot 16-5 by the Titans, but still managed to protect their net holding a 9-1 advantage in saves. The game ended in a 0-0 draw.

The expectations have risen on Montezuma Mesa for the SDSU women’s soccer team. A day before the exhibition game, the Lady Aztecs were easily picked to win the Mountain West Conference by the league’s 11 coaches after receiving nine out of 11 first place votes.

New Mexico and UNLV were the two other schools’ that received first place votes from the 11 coaches in the MWC.

Last season, the Aztecs finished an overall record of 21-2-1 capturing the MWC title and a trip to the NCAA Tournament third round, which marked the best season for women’s soccer in SDSU school history.

At 5 p.m. this Friday, SDSU will travel to East Lansing, Mich. to play against Michigan State.

SDSU loses to USC, beats Gaels