Anteaters defeat Aztecs 1-0

Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

Coming off of a recent loss to Florida International University, the Aztecs hoped to bounce back Saturday night against a strong University of California, Irvine squad. However, San Diego State couldn’t contain UCI and suffered a 1-0 loss. SDSU is now 1-2-0 overall this season.

When the whistle blew and the kick-off had been taken, the Anteaters were first to gain possession; however, it took a few minutes for each team to get warmed up. Most possession for both teams seemed to be stuck around midfield with neither team being able to push the ball much until UCI began to break through SDSU’s defense.

Suddenly, the Aztecs found themselves backed up onto their side of the field while their opponents fired off shot after shot. After several minutes of sacrificing their bodies, the defense was finally able to clear its side and send a counterattack that ultimately set up four different shots that refused to fly into the back of the net.

By the end of the half, the score remained 0-0 with UCI leading in both time of possession as well as shots taken, 8-4.

After the half, the Aztecs came out and immediately controlled possession.

Several shots were taken including multiple set pieces from just outside of the box as well as several corner kicks, but the Aztecs could not capitalize.

It took 77 minutes for a goal to be scored and unfortunately, it was scored by UCI. What looked to be a shot from outside of the box turned out to be a pass in front of the goalie that was sent into the back left side of the Aztec’s goal off the head of red shirt junior forward Dennis Martinez.

This late goal would go on to be the game winner despite the Aztecs’ several last- minute efforts.

Senior midfielders Kevin Bick and Blake Wise lead the team with three shots a piece. Defensively, senior goalkeeper Blake Hylen had seven saves.

After the game, head coach Lev Kirshner talked about how the game plan he had created to match up against the physical attack of the UCI Anteaters was executed.

[quote]He said his team played very well and competed the whole way through, but the ball just didn’t bounce its way.[/quote]

At 5 p.m. ET tonight, the Aztecs will compete in the University of Akron Tournament, playing first against Niagara University in Akron, Ohio.

Anteaters defeat Aztecs 1-0