SDSU beats No.16 USD in season opener

Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer
Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

Now that they’ve all had a chance to break in their new cleats, the Aztec men’s soccer team was ready to play on Friday night against the University of San Diego Torreros.

San Diego State went on to defeat the ranked No.16 USD 5-0.

Going into the game, senior midfielder Kevin Bick was well aware of the importance of the opening game of the season.

[quote]When asked after the game about his teams approach Bick said, “We just had to remain confident and I knew we would go out and get the win.”[/quote]

And win the team most certainly did, establishing an early lead with a header into the right side of the net by senior midfielder Kody Duff, assisted by his teammate junior defender Evyn Hewett and senior midfielder Blake Wise.

After nearly 35 minutes without more scoring, the game seemed to be a close one in both shots taken and time of possession, until senior forward Jordan Ongaro sent a bending kick from 18 yards out into the lower back of the net.

This goal seemed to spark the rest of the Aztec attack because shortly after senior midfielder Abraham Villon whizzed a diagonal shot right by the goalkeeper to widen the gap between the Aztecs and the Torreros to 3-0.

This was followed by a harsh foul committed by USD inside of the goalie box, giving senior midfielder Morgan Sacco a chance to pad the stats to his team’s already large lead with a penalty kick.

As if that wasn’t enough, junior midfielder Henrik Synnes was then able to get a great angle off of a corner kick and send a strong header into the goal for the fifth goal of the night.

That would prove to be the final score of the Aztec’s season opener. However, moving forward against Florida International University on Sunday night, the Aztecs didn’t have much time to celebrate.

Despite their huge victory against USD, SDSU could not transfer the momentum to its game against FIU.

It was a hard-fought battle that came down to a couple of key mistakes and ultimately, ended up with a heartbreaking final score of 5-3 in favor of the Panthers.

Although the Aztecs were unable to finish the weekend on a high note, they hope to regain momentum when they take on the University of California, Irvine at 7 p.m. this Saturday Sept. 7 at the SDSU Sports Deck.

The SDSU Men’s Soccer Team will begin to enter its tough Pac-12 season schedule.

SDSU beats No.16 USD in season opener