Not your Grandma’s disco party

On Thursday, Sept. 19 Aztecs got the unique opportunity to dance to their own beat at the Headphone Disco night, located at Peterson Gym. From 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., students picked up their wireless headphones and danced their hearts out to different genres of music provided by two DJs. Not only did students get to enjoy great music, there was also a photo graffiti wall, airbrush tattoos and wax hands.

“This is our first time doing this event and we are really excited about how many people came,” marketing sophomore Evelyn Valle said.

Valle works as a volunteer for the Aztec Student Union Board committee on campus and mentioned these events are a great way to get students together and interact, especially freshmen that are new to campus.

Instead of using a speaker system, music was broadcast through a radio transmitter and the signal was picked up through the wireless headphones. For many students headphone disco night was a new experience. Students were able to get dressed up and dance to the loud beat of techno music without anyone complaining about noise. And they were able to easily change the channel and party to a different style of music.

“The headphone disco night was an interesting experience. I was apprehensive about going at first, but I’m so glad I did because I had fun and met new people,” biology student Tori Parker said.

Although headphone disco night is a new concept to many, students who knew little about the event and were not sure about attending were not disappointed. With so many activities at the Aztec Nights event, there was something that engaged everyone.

For those at the event who needed something to quench their thirst or had an appetite, nonalcoholic drinks, or “mocktails,” were served as well as loads of snacks, candy and freshly made vanilla sprinkled cake pops.

Aztec Nights will soon be coming to an end, so if you haven’t had the opportunity to attend one of the events, go online to go.sdsu.edu/aztecnights and check out what other exciting opportunities are in store for Aztecs.

Information about Aztec Nights can be found at go.sdsu.edu/aztecnights

ALSO READ: Plenty of fun for all ages at Kids’ Film Festival

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

Not your Grandma’s disco party