Roger Ebert’s legacy remains strong

Roger Eberts legacy remains strong
LIONEL HAHN

It’s been more than half a year since Pulitzer Prize winning critic Roger Ebert died of thyroid cancer at the age of 70. His death was a shock—he seemed to still have a lot of energy and spirit shortly before his passing.

I never met Ebert in person, but we became email pals after my uncle had a chance meeting with him. Our conversations were very meaningful, and he encouraged me to follow my passion and change my major to television, film and new media.

Numerous actors, directors and writers shared their feelings about the iconic critic after he died. He influenced many people about how they viewed all kinds of films, from classics to schlock.

Although I was heartbroken after hearing the news about his death, I’m happy that Ebert left such a huge legacy. His contributions to criticism are still being celebrated on a weekly basis through his website, RogerEbert.com which includes Ebert’s classic reviews as well as articles and reviews by contributors, including his wife, Chaz.

In 2014, “Hoop Dreams” director Steve James will release his documentary adaptation of Ebert’s autobiography titled, “Life Itself.” As a fan of his book, I can’t wait to see how James adapts the bittersweet memoir for the screen.

Despite his tragic end, Ebert was an optimistic man who will always be remembered as one of the most influential critics who ever lived. I am happy that he continues to be an inspiration to moviegoers from around the world.

Also Read: Say a big hello to ‘The Last Goodbye’

Photo courtesy of Lionel Hahn/Abaca Press/MCT

David Dixon, Staff Writer
Since, 2005, when he became a writer for the now defunct Rated G column at the San Diego Union Tribune, David Dixon has been writing theatre and film reviews, interviews, covering Comic-Con, and other entertainment related stories, for numerous papers and websites. In addition to his experience as the Entertainment Editor of San Diego State University's The Daily Aztec, in 2014 he won First and Second Place in College Print: Reviews from the San Diego Press Club Excellence in Journalism Awards, and in 2013 he was awarded First and Third Place. Currently, David is a staff writer for TDA, a contributor for sandiegostory.com and a freelance writer for the San Diego Community News Network.
Roger Ebert’s legacy remains strong