Hollywood Happenings – GRAMMYS Red Carpet Recap

Hollywood Happenings - GRAMMYS Red Carpet Recap
Robert Gauthier

Celebrity of the Week:

The 56th Annual Grammy Awards showcased the most talented artists in the music industry with performances from several artists including Katy Perry, Lorde as well as Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. While all of these artists were excellent performers, there was one group in particular that stood out from the rest and stole the show. French electronic duo Daft Punk won the most sought-after prize of the night, Album of the year, for its latest album “Random Access Memories.” In addition to winning this year’s most desired award, the masked men of EDM were also awarded record of the year for its hit song “Get Lucky.” Daft Punk performed the Grammy award-winning song with Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers and Stevie Wonder. Its second performance ever on live television, the duo dominated the night.

Sightings:

Whether they were performing on stage or nominated for an award, all of America’s biggest artists came together to make an appearance last Sunday night at the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles for the 56th Annual Grammy Awards. If you didn’t have the time to watch the entire show, don’t worry because here are the most memorable moments of the night with a red carpet recap. To start it off, Beyonce and her husband Jay-Z opened the awards show with a very sensual performance of their song “Drunk in Love.” Later, 17-year-old Lorde not only gave an outstanding performance, but also won the coveted award for song of the year as well as best pop solo performance. As mentioned before, Daft Punk were more than lucky as they won both album of the year and record of the year, making the duo the most envied group at the awards show. Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons amazed the audience with a jaw-dropping performance that later won best rock performance. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis won best new artist and gave a performance that no one could ever forget. Although, it was controversial, Queen Latifah married several couples, both straight and gay, during their performance. Other crowd-favorites included performances were done by Katy Perry, Robin Thicke, Blake Shelton and Taylor Swift.

Romance:

The one Grammy performance everyone seems to be talking about would have to be that of Beyonce and her man Jay-Z collaborating on stage together for “Drunk in Love.” It’s not hard to believe these two are actually in love; they’ve been married for five years, and that’s quite a long time for entertainment industry standards. The performance started with Beyonce dancing and singing on stage in a sheer racy black outfit and Jay-Z rapping his verse of the song. The performance ended with them embracing each other in dance.

Of course, it isn’t the Grammys without pre-parties and after-parties. According to Eonline, a slew of hot celebrity couples were spotted out at these parties including Katy Perry and John Mayer; Rita Ora and DJ Calvin Harris; and Kate Beckinsale with Len Wiseman.

Trivia:

1. This San Diego State alumnus won best jazz vocal album at this year’s Grammy Awards show for his album Liquid Spirit.

A. Gregory Porter

B. Michael Buble

C. Frank Sinatra

D. Andy Bey

2. This famous hotel in LA was home to the first Grammy Award ceremony.

A. Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel

B. Chateau Marmont

C. The Beverly Hills Hotel

D. The Beverly Hilton

3. This is the only artist to win the top four awards, including best song, best album, best new artist and best record. Hint: The year was 1981.

A. Christopher Cross

B. Prince

C. Michael Jackson.

D. Bruce Springsteen

4. 28 awards were given out back in 1959. This many awards were handed out at the 2014 awards ceremony.

A. 100

B. 28

C. 82

D. 50

5. In 1965, this “boy band” won best new artist and best performance for the song “A Hard Day’s Night.”

1. Elvis Presley

B. The Beatles

C. The Beach Boys

D. The Monkees

Answers: 1. A 2. D 3. A 4. C 5. B

Also read: Hollywood Happenings: Starring Ron Bergundy 

Photo courtesy of Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/MCT