La Casitas set to close today but plans to return

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

La Casitas Mexican Grill & Seafood, located next to San Diego State, will be closing at the end of today.

“We’re going to take a break and we’re going to be back in business somewhere in Fall in the area,” Mariana Abarca, owner of La Casitas, said. “We don’t exactly know what we’re going to do but we’re going to be coming back in the area.”

The restaurant has been on Lindo Pass at the end of the footbridge to the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union and across from several residence halls for eight years, according to Abarca. However, its lease is ending and they will not be returning to that location. According to Abarca a new restaurant will open in the location but it will not be Mexican food.

“We’re done, so there’s going to be a new restaurant coming in here,” Abarca said. “This area is really amazing, it’s great to work here and it’s a great atmosphere. It’s just a little hard financially.”

Abarca said businesses in the area are going through a lot of the same financial hardships that students are, which makes it hard to provide the quality food they want at low prices. However, La Casitas stills has their name and their sauces, particularly a green sauce they are known for in the College Area.

“We’ll be back, maybe (with a) food truck,” Abarca said.

The restaurant will be taking a couple of months off but Abarca said by Fall semester they will announce the new direction of La Casitas, which besides a food truck could include delivery options.

The response online has been shock and sadness from student used to the area eatery:

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.16.20 PM

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.16.36 PM

Others lamented the loss of some of their staple offerings:

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.16.52 PM