SDSU police arrest suspect in sexual assault

San Diego State Police Department arrested an SDSU student today in connection to an alleged sexual assault that occurred this weekend.

The sexual assault occurred at 5074 College Avenue, according to the police department.

The woman reported the sexual assault to SDSU police on Dec. 7. SDSUPD Capt. Mays said the assault occurred sometime between Dec. 6 and 7. The woman identified the suspect and detectives investigated the assault, leading to the arrest of Francisco Paiva Sousa. He is facing charges of oral copulation with force and false imprisonment with force.

Sousa is in being held at the San Diego County Jail.

According to a community safety alert, SDSU police did not issue a crime alert for the sexual assault because the suspect was known and police did not want to jeopardize his arrest.

On Sept. 1 a woman reported being escorted to a bathroom and sexually assaulted at the same address on College Avenue.

This story has been updated. SDSU police previously incorrectly reported the alleged sexual assault occurred at the Theta Chi fraternity house. The student is not a member of Theta Chi.

The Daily Aztec will update this story as more information is made available.

David Hernandez
David Hernandez, News Editor
David Hernandez is news editor of The Daily Aztec. He joined the newspaper in 2012 and has previously been a staff writer, copy editor and blogger. He will graduate in May 2015 with a B.A. in journalism and minor in Spanish.