Tasty Tuesday: Milo’s Pizza dishes up classic New York pies

Courtesy of Milo’s Pizza

For New York-style pizza within walking distance of campus, Milo’s Pizza could be right up San Diego State students’ alley.

Established in 1994 and located on 6686 El Cajon Blvd., Milo’s Pizza prides itself in having classic New York-style thin-crust pizza and sauce made with California tomatoes. Not only is the crust and style reminiscent of a New York pizzeria, but the restaurant’s portion size is as well.

Its pies range from a medium 12 inches for $7.99 to a giant 20 inches for $13.99, and these pizza slices are no joke — they are the kind of slices reminiscent of Manhattan. There is also have a variety of specialty pizzas, from vegetarian to all-meat. There is even have one called “The San Diegan,” all for the same price. Although Milo’s Pizza is known for its authentic thin crust, thick crust is also offered upon request for no extra charge.

Along with pizza, submarine sandwiches, salads and a variety of sides are offered, including hot wings and garlic bread. While some may consider the restaurant’s pizza to be in line with authentic New York style, other menu items leave something to be desired. The subs, although made from fresh ingredients, don’t have the same appeal as their pizza and leave the customer wishing for more. Compared to the pizza, the subs don’t seem to be New York style, or any style for that matter. A small six-inch sub costs $5.49 and a 12-inch costs $8.99.

While the food can be hit or miss, the pizzeria has a familiar atmosphere. The Milo’s pizzeria staff is friendly and helpful. However, Milo’s Pizza boasts of its New York-style pizza, and while this is true, the decor reminds the customer they are in southern California. Between the giant abstract mural, and posters ranging from upcoming local concerts posters to framed ones of Cypress Hill and Common, it’s pretty easy to get lost in the artwork on the walls. While the restaurant does its best to add some interesting posters to observe, customers can’t help but think that it feels like a cheap knockoff of Cheba Hut’s style.

One of the biggest upsides of Milo’s Pizza is the fact there is no delivery charge. While most pizza chains and local pizzerias have implemented a delivery fee, Milo’s free delivery definitely gives them an upper hand and helps them generate a lot of business. Milo’s also offers a variety of specials that continues to help customers get the best bang for their buck.

Milo’s Pizza seems to rely on their pizza as their main focus, and rightly so. However, it doesn’t stand out among the handful of other pizza joints within a mile radius. While the restaurant excels in what it needs to, it falls flat when it comes to other menu items and the overall atmosphere of the restaurant.