Executive Vice President candidate Bridget Hansen

Jamie Ballard

Position: Executive Vice President

Name: Bridget Hansen

Year: Junior

Major: Political science

Why did you decide to run for Executive Vice President?

I decided to run for A.S. because I wanted to give back to this community. Through my leadership experiences across campus and study of leadership development, I have been able to grow personally and professionally, as well as develop my passion for helping others. I couldn’t pass on the opportunity to serve my community, connect with students and further develop the Aztec pride on this campus.

How did you get involved with A.S.?

I got involved in Associated Students immediately when I came to San Diego State. I got involved in the Greek community and as soon as I joined my chapter an old member reached out to me and immediately said, ‘I see something in you and I think you should be a part of Associated Students. I think you stand for what this auxiliary really wants to accomplish on campus and I want you to be a part of it.’

So she brought me onto her commission at the time which was the Community Service Commission, which I absolutely loved doing because it combined my passion for helping others and getting involved on campus. The same older member went on to be on the executive board the next year and, with my passion in political science and leadership skills, she reached out again and said that I would be a great asset to her new board, so I joined the External Relations Board, which really worked to enhance my view of Associated Students and how much depth it really covers of student life and also combined it with my passion in politics. My leadership and inside and outside Associated Students experience has given me the ability to know how things work within Associated Students, know the purpose of Associated Students and truly align myself with the values while also cultivating the skill sets and perspective that offers more to the student body.

What do you like and dislike about A.S.?

One of my favorite things about Associated Students is that it gives students opportunities to develop themselves as leaders through a wide array of interests. Integrating shared governance ensures that students are stakeholders in the university and serves as an avenue for the student voice. With that said, sometimes there is a disconnect with Associated Students and the student interest that I think can be improved upon.

What would you like to change about A.S.?

I think the most important thing is that we are here to serve the students and their interest. Even something like getting less than 20 percent of students involved in voting means that we are not hearing 100 percent of students. Something I think Associated Students can improve upon is keeping the focus on student interest and aligning with the values that it stands for.

What would you like to change about SDSU?

Further integrating all of the divisions within campus life is something I would like to change. Often times, things like the student body, administration, athletics and alumni are seen as mutually exclusive, separate entities that have competing interests. Something I would like to see happen is first recognizing that there is a connection between these groups, and then developing on those pre-existing connections to work toward positive change and the overall enhancement of the Aztec experience.

What are some accomplishments you’re proud of?
One thing I’m very proud of during my time at SDSU is my involvement in a new student organization called SISSTER (Sororities Invested in Survivor Support, Training, and Ending Rape culture). The opportunity to connect with fellow Greek women to advocate for others, address an important issue on our campus and be a part of the successful start of the program was an extremely impactful and empowering accomplishment.
Emely Navarro, News Editor
Emely Navarro is journalism major with a minor in Spanish. She has been with The Daily Aztec since fall 2014 and is the News Editor. She occasionally writes for Mundo Azteca and acts as a broadcast anchor, video editor and producer. After graduation she hopes to be a television news producer.
Jamie Ballard, Managing Editor
Jamie Ballard is the managing editor of The Daily Aztec for 2016-17. She has been a member of The Daily Aztec since 2013, first as a staff writer and then as a news editor. Her work has been featured at Esquire.com, San Diego CityBeat, Student Universe, and several other sites. Jamie also works as an editorial assistant for Mike Sager, writer-at-large for Esquire and founder of The Sager Group. Follow her at @BallardJamie23 or email her at me@thedailyaztec.com